The Law Office of Mark Nicholson is Hiring!
Paralegal for a Winning Criminal Defense and Personal Injury Law Firm
You will be responsible for having frequent interactions with clients and the opposing party. You will work closely with attorneys, keeping cases up to date, the attorney’s calendar current, and helping prepare documents. You will be responsible for: answering client questions, communicating with opposing parties, the courts, providing updates to clients, drafting documents, ordering medical records, and updating and organizing client files.
Work Criminal Defense and Plaintiff Personal Injury
You must have strong communication skills and should be comfortable working on criminal defense and personal injury cases. The type of cases will include clients accused of drug crimes, violent crimes, and sex crimes. If the thought of interacting with someone charged with certain crimes (or viewing violent crime scene photos) makes you feel uncomfortable, then you may not want to apply.
It is fast-paced and you should expect to hit the ground running. You should have knowledge and experience in drafting basic motions (appearances, motion to continue, subpoenas, complaints, etc.).
We work hard but like to have fun. If you have a sense of humor that is a positive for our work environment. Additionally, if are interested in movies (especially superhero movies) and books (especially comic books) that is a plus.
You must have at least 2 years of paralegal or legal experience in at least one or more of the following: civil (personal injury), criminal, or family law.
You must submit a resume and include links to at least one of your social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
Hours are flexible but your core hours are 9 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday
Only the serious and passionate need to apply. Therefore, before we interview you there is an online Paralegal Personality and Skills Assessment you need to complete. If you apply you will be sent a link to take the assessment.
- Research and writing
- Drafting documents
- Treat clients/potential clients with respect
- Transcribe and proofread legal documents
- File, organize, scan, and copy documents
- Jail/Prison visits
- Attend court hearings with the attorney
- Assist attorney during trials
- Working with more than one attorney
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and MS Office
- Familiarity with filing e-filing documents
- Familiarity with LexisNexis and/or Westlaw
- Familiarity with case management software (Mycase.com)
- Ability to type with accuracy and speed
- Able to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong sense of discretion
- Able to work as a team with attorneys, paralegals, and clients
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Flexible schedule
- 401(k) matching
- Retirement plan
- Employee discount
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.00 – $25.00 per hour
We are taking COVID-19 precautions. Currently, we require the wearing of masks in the office and social distance. Also, we may require working from home temporarily.